OUR ISA FAMILY!!

Your pictures and fotos in a slideshow on MySpace, eBay, Facebook or your website!view all pictures of this slideshow

10/07/2009

Ok, so we're a little backwards on the days. ... here is yesterday's 12 Step Tuesday!

12 Step Tuesday

Step #3

TRUST IN GOD......... Submit
Key Principle: Decide to turn your will and your life over to the care of God the Eternal Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.

In the first 2 steps I realized what I could not do for myself and what I needed God to do for me. This was and remains to be the most important thing I've ever realized. I stopped "fighting" my food addiction and through my humble submission God removed it!!

This was the hardest step for me. I spent years studying it and imagining time and time again that I had truly submitted. I imagine it like this...... I was driving my own car (or directing my own life) and then when I got too close to the edge and out of control (or in other words had a binge and was gaining weight and couldn't get control of my eating) then defeated and totally in despair I would go to the Lord and say "Hey you take the wheel" and I would move out of the drivers seat and let Him take over while I was just a passenger in my own life. Then when He got my life back on track and the car was over in the safe zone and my life felt manageable and I felt back in control then I would tell Him to get out of the drivers seat and let me steer again. Only days or weeks to find myself out of control and almost going over the edge ..... then I'd quickly get back in the passenger seat and while sobbing I'd beg Him to get back in the drivers seat and take over. Now I've realized that if I stay over in the passenger seat and let Him drive (or guide) my life everything goes smoother... it's like the life of the rich and famous having your own personal chauffeur every day. And He is doing a much better job of it than I ever did on my own!!!

Elder Neal A Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles made the following statement about this most significant decision! "The submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar. It is a hard doctrine, but it is true. The many other things we give to God, however nice that may be of us, are actually things He has already given us, and He has loaned them to us. But when we begin to submit ourselves by letting our wills be swallowed up in God's will, then we are really giving something to Him."

When I took step 3 I faced the truth that recovery from my food addiction (and all other compulsive behaviors) was far more the result of the Lord's efforts than my own. He worked a miracle in my life when I invited Him in! It is a decision to allow Him to direct our lives, remembering, of course, that He always respects our agency. It all begins with being willing!! Our willingness is the solid foundation on which the balance of recovery rests!! Our willingness to submit not only to Him but to our food plan.... when we would much rather eat cookies and ice cream!!

This requires you to rededicate yourself to His will at the start of each day and somtimes every hour or even moment to moment. As we are willing to do so, we find the grace (enabling power) to do what we could not do for ourselves. It is the most amazing feeling........ like you are becoming the person that you only dreamed was possible! The person without the nagging temptations that drags you away from your goal EVERY TIME!!! It truly is amazing to live this way!!

ACTION: Let go of the self-will and self-seeking that were at the root of your food addiction and enjoy the serenity and strength that come from trusting in God and in His goodness, power, and love. Decide to trust and obey God; change what you can change; accept what you cannot change!!!

Step 3 SERENITY PRAYER
"God grant me serentiy to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the thing I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
Have a blessed day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment